David King Education Bursary
Applications open until Feb. 16, 2018
The David King Education Bursary assists with up to $2500 in bursary funds available for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) taking a Bachelor’s degree to enhance their LPN role.
The annual David King Education Bursary assists in covering tuition, books and materials for degrees such as a Bachelors of Human Services Administrator (to manage as an LPN), Education (to teach as an LPN), Science (to research as an LPN), etc. The Bursary does not fund programs that move the LPN into another health profession (MD, Pharmacist, RN, etc.). The Bursary was established in 1998, and was named after David King, the first Chair of the Foundation.
Bursary funds are valid for one year for courses applied for between April 30 and May 1. Applicants must have an Active Practice Permit with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta.
How to Apply
- Read the below Eligibility Criteria
- Ask two additional people to be Sponsors for this application. Get their contact information to complete the Application Form.
- Write the Bursary Application Letter (maximum of two(2) typed pages). Save it in Microsoft Word (.DOC or .DOCX) or Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) formats. You will upload it to the Application Form. Make sure the Letter gives examples of your career and personal goals as well as how you meet and/or exceed the eligibility criteria.
- Complete the Application Form:
- Applicant must reside in Alberta
- Applicant must hold an Active Practice Permit with and be in good standing with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta
- Can describe nursing experience which provided opportunities to develop teaching abilities
- Demonstrates the commitment to furthering the LPN in the health care system
- Demonstrates professionalism and pride in being an LPN
- Demonstrates commitment to lifelong learning
- Promotes education and acts a leader to motivate and assist other team members to increase their knowledge and skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why does my Bursary Application Form require two (2) Sponsors?
A. All Bursary applications require two (2) supporting Sponsors as they support the Sponsors contents of the Bursary Application Letter and must be in addition to the Bursary applicant.
- At least one sponsor, must be from an employer, past or present, must not be related to the applicant, and must be over the age of 18 years
- Supporting sponsors must be in good standing with the CLPNA (if applicable)
Q. Can I save my online Bursary Application Form and come back to finish it later?
A. You cannot save a partially completed online Application Form and return to it at a later date. Before beginning the online Application Form, we recommend you gather all necessary information, including composing the Application Letter.
For further info, contact Foundation Assistant Donna Doerr at firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta).