Nominations open until March 10, 2018
Recognize a shining star in your workplace by nominating them for an Award of Excellence.There are three Awards available for Licensed Practical Nurses and one for supportive non-LPN health care leaders in Alberta.
LPN award recipients receive a $1000 cash prize, a commemorative crystal award, and are honoured by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) at the 2018 CLPNA AGM & Conference Awards Dinner.
How to Nominate an LPN or non-LPN
- Read the below Award Eligibility Criteria.
- Decide which one of the four Awards best describes the person you want to nominate.
- Ask two additional people to be Sponsors for this nomination. Get their contact information to complete the Nomination Form.
- Write the Nomination Letter for the Nominee (a two (2) page, typed statement describing how the applicant meets the Eligibility Criteria). Save it in Microsoft Word (.DOC or .DOCX) or Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format. Make sure the Letter gives examples of how the Nominee’s contributions at work, on committees, and in the community, meets or exceeds the Award’s Eligibility Criteria.
- Complete the Award Nomination Form:
Award Eligibility Criteria
All LPN Nominees must meet the following basic criteria:
- Must have an Active Practice Permit and be in good standing with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta.
- Have actively practiced for at least five (5) years, be currently employed as an LPN and reside in Alberta
In addition, each Award has its own unique eligibility criteria listed below. The Nomination Letter should give examples of how the Nominee’s contribution at work, on committees, and in the community meets or exceeds that Award’s Eligibility Criteria.
Pat Fredrickson Excellence in Leadership Award (LPN) – An LPN who consistently demonstrates excellence in leadership through the following attributes:
- Leads by example, demonstrating professionalism, respect, integrity and collegiality
- Demonstrates commitment to personal and professional development
- Advocates for nurses and nursing in the health-care setting (advocates for the profession and how)
- Demonstrates a positive attitude
- Communicates effectively
- Identifies and effectively promotes needed change
- Provides mentorship to colleagues
- Demonstrates passion for the work they do
Rita McGregor Excellence in Nursing Education/Preceptor Award (LPN) – An LPN Nurse Educator or a designated Preceptor in a clinical setting who consistently demonstrate excellence in provision of nursing education in their workplace through the following criteria:
- Establishes a positive learning environment
- Displays creativity, innovation and flexibility in motivating learners and attending to individual learning needs
- Displays positive relationships with colleagues and/or students
- Demonstrates a well-rounded knowledge base
- Contributes to the profession through presentations at conferences, workshops, seminars and in-service programs
- Participates in program planning
- Provides mentorship to students and/or colleagues
- Demonstrates passion for their work, believes that students are the future of the profession
Laura Crawford Excellence in Nursing Practice Award (LPN) – An LPN who consistently demonstrate excellence in practice through the following attributes:
- Demonstrates exemplary nursing knowledge, skills, critical thinking, attitude and judgment
- Demonstrates and promotes an atmosphere of teamwork by example and seeks opportunities to support co-workers
- Shows pride in being a part of the LPN profession and demonstrates professional behavior
- Advocates for the client (patient) and makes the client the center of all actions
- Demonstrates commitment to life-long learning and seeks opportunities to increase his/her knowledge and skills
- Mentors/motivates team members to increase their knowledge and skills
Interprofessional Development Award (Non-LPN) – A non-LPN health care leader focused on providing exceptional care to Albertans through the following attributes (must be nominated by an LPN):
- Demonstrating exceptional leadership skills
- Fostering a collaborative practice environment
- Promoting professional growth and development
- Creating high functioning interprofessional team(s)
- Articulating the value of LPNs as vital and respected team members
- Advocating for all team members to perform toward their optimal scope of practice
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I nominate someone for more than one Award?
A. Although many nominees may fit several Awards, we ask that you choose the Award that is most applicable to the specific work or achievement using the Award Eligibility Criteria for the relevant award category selected.
Q. Why is a Nomination Letter required? Isn’t my Nomination Form enough?
A. The Nomination Letter is required to assist the Awards Selection Committee in determining Award Winners. The Nomination Letter supports the Nomination Form by providing detailed and specific examples of how the nominee meets the Awards Eligibility Criteria for the relevant award category in which they have been nominated.
Q. Why does my Nomination require two (2) Supporting Sponsors?
A. All nominations require two (2) supporting sponsors, as they support the contents of the Nomination Letter and assist the Selections Committee in determining the Award Winners.
- Supporting sponsors must be in good standing with the CLPNA (if applicable)
- Fill out in full, the sponsor information on the nomination form
- Must be over 18 years old
Q. Can a Nominator be a Supporting Sponsor?
A. No, the Nominator cannot also be a Sponsor. The Sponsor’s support the contents of the Nomination Letter.
Q. Can I save my online Nomination Form and come back to finish it later?
A. You cannot save a partially completed online Nomination Form and return to it at a later date. Before beginning the online Nomination Form, we recommend you gather all necessary information, including composing the Nomination Letter. See “Before you begin” on the Nomination Form for more instructions on how to apply.
For further info, contact Foundation Assistant Donna Doerr at email@example.com, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta).